By Diane Bolger
An authoritative advisor on gender prehistory for researchers, teachers and scholars in anthropology, archaeology, and gender studies
- Provides the main up to date, accomplished assurance of gender archaeology, with an specific specialise in prehistory
- Offers severe overviews of advancements within the archaeology of gender over the past 30 years, in addition to checks of present traits and customers for destiny research
- Focuses on contemporary 3rd Wave ways to the examine of gender in early human societies, tough heterosexist biases, and investigating the interfaces among gender and prestige, age, cognition, social reminiscence, performativity, the physique, and sexuality
- Features a variety of local and thematic themes authored by means of confirmed experts within the field, with incisive assurance of gender examine in prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific
Read Online or Download A Companion to Gender Prehistory PDF
Similar archaeology books
The second one version of this well known textbook introduces archaeology scholars to using facts of their topic. in response to the author's long-running undergraduate path, it explains the correct parts of records in phrases that archaeology scholars can simply assimilate. This new version encompasses a wider variety of themes offered in larger intensity, reflecting the subject's becoming significance inside archaeology.
My curiosity within the archaeology of the Scottish Highlands started lengthy ahead of I had any formal education within the topic. transforming into up at the jap fringes of the southern Highlands, as regards to Loch Lomond, it used to be no longer challenging stumble throughout ruined constructions, previous box obstacles, and different strains of way of life some time past.
An authoritative consultant on gender prehistory for researchers, teachers and scholars in anthropology, archaeology, and gender reports presents the main up to date, entire insurance of gender archaeology, with an unique specialize in prehistory deals severe overviews of advancements within the archaeology of gender during the last 30 years, in addition to exams of present developments and clients for destiny learn makes a speciality of fresh 3rd Wave ways to the research of gender in early human societies, difficult heterosexist biases, and investigating the interfaces among gender and prestige, age, cognition, social reminiscence, performativity, the physique, and sexuality beneficial properties a variety of neighborhood and thematic subject matters authored by way of validated experts within the field, with incisive assurance of gender examine in prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific
Archaeology is a jargon-free and available creation to the sector which info how archaeologists research the human earlier in all its interesting variety. Now in its 12th variation, this vintage textbook has been up-to-date to mirror the most recent study and new findings within the box. Reflecting the worldwide scope of the self-discipline, the booklet has a really overseas insurance of vital discoveries and websites from many corners of the globe.
- The First Americans: In Pursuit of Archaeology's Greatest Mystery
- Vikings: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- The Social Life of Things: Commodities in Cultural Perspective
- The Prehistory of the Northwest Coast
- Ancient Arcadia (Papers from the Norwegian Institute at Athens)
- Archaeological Theory Today
Extra info for A Companion to Gender Prehistory
Wright 1996:15; Conkey 2003:873; Nelson 2006; Gero 2007; Wylie 2007; Bolger 2008:352–355) and is linked to the anti-hierarchical nature of feminist research and its tolerance and promotion of dissenting viewpoints. In addition, as argued earlier in this chapter, considerations of diversity, scale, and context, which give greater emphasis to differences within and between prehistoric communities, have become central concerns in archaeological research in recent years and are embedded in the views expressed by many of the authors in the present volume.
Indd 11 8/28/2012 2:59:53 PM 12 DIANE BOLGER Structure and contents of this volume As indicated in the table of contents, the book is divided into two parts (Thematic Perspectives and Regional Perspectives), each of which comprises three sections. The chapters in Section 1 address areas of current scholarly interest in gender prehistory: gender and human evolution (Zihlman); gender, complexity and power (Hutson, Hanks, and Pyburn); the archaeology of embodiment (Bulger and Joyce); queer prehistory (Alberti); and the future of gender in prehistoric archaeology (Conkey).
The Hague: Mouton. , and Rita P. Wright, 1996 Gendered Perspectives in the Classroom. In Gender and Archaeology. R. P. Wright, ed. Pp. 199–223. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. , 1974 Woman, Culture, and Society. Stanford: Stanford University Press. Rowlands, Michael, 1989 A Question of Complexity. In Domination and Resistance. Miller, M. Rowlands, and C. Tilley, eds. Pp. 29–40. London: Unwin Hyman. , 2003 A Century of American Archaeology in the Middle East: Looking Back and Looking Ahead.
A Companion to Gender Prehistory by Diane Bolger